I am one of the many German students studying abroad. I am one of the people who love travelling. I can't sit still, I always have to do stuff. I am curious, always chasing for stories. Stay here for a while and be part of my respaced world

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Australia's capital

This weekend I went to Canberra. Honestly, did you know that Canberra is the capital city of Australia?I didn't.


Canberra lies in between the cities Sydney and Melbourne. My roomie has friends who live in Canberra, a couple who is about to get married soon. Yay, free accomodation! And getting the benefit of local knowledge!


Daniel, the groom-to-be, works for the ministry of treasury. He gave us a tour of the "Parliamentary Triangle" (the quarter where you can find all the government buildings), engaging us to ask every kind of questions we had. I did. I was asking why there where so many people were against the carbon tax, why there were still so many people who didn't believe in Climate change, why Australia wasn't declaring independence, what he thought about the fact that Australians are obliged to vote, I asked about the Australian army, about Aboriginals... Daniel explained us his Australia.


 

He did quiet well (It is part of his job to answer letters of citizens asking questions such as 'why do we have to pay taxes?')

When we got home he told his girlfriend 'I'm so tired, i've talked so much today.'

If you are interested in hearing what Daniel answered to the topics mentioned above, let me know - I'll be happy to write more about them!

In the meantime here's Canberra in one sentence.

Canberra reminded me a bit of Washington D.C. - a city with free museums, everything cleaned up, white, a lot of green, flags, a court, parliaments,.... a ghost town which reminded me more of a museum than a city.

The war memorial



BUT Canberra stands out in the sense that
a) I found the parliament extremely ugly

The new parliament

and b) I found it ridiculous that the huge lake surrounding the parliamentary triangle was created by man because they thought it looked nice. Hello? This is Australia, a land of natural beauty! No need to create lakes, mates!

The parliamentary triangle and the Griffin lake


ok.. it is quiet nice, but...


isn't the natural Canberra landscape nice enough?
********

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...