I am one of the many German students studying abroad. I am one of the people who love travelling. I can't sit still, I always have to do stuff. I am curious, always chasing for stories. Stay here for a while and be part of my respaced world

Friday, March 11, 2011

Postcards


I should start writing postcards. Everyone loves postcards. I love sending them. In the times of Internet, emails and text messages a hand written postcard is just a nice thing. Holding a postcard in your hand which was written by someone far away from you is like a proof or sign that even when this person is not in your life right now is still THERE. He/She is alive.

What I don't like about postcards is that many people tend to lie when they write them. How often did you a receive a postcard which sounded like this:

Dear x,
i'm having a great time here in y. The weather is nice, the sun is shining and the beach is right next to our doorstep, everything is wonderful. I enjoy the local food, yesterday I went shopping and saw z (touristical site). I wish I could stay longer. Best wishes from y, x.

Isn't it funny that you never get postcards which sound like this:

Dear x,
this morning I noted that I got 5 mosquito bites over night. It is really hot, even though I put on lots of sunscreen I rather look like a tomatoe than a tanned girl of a Bacardi commercial and I'm afraid of getting diarrhea because the tab water here tastes kinda weird. Anyway, tonight I'm gonna go to the karaoke night and get pissed with some British guys. Maybe I can ask them to put a towel for me on one of the chairs next to the pool (they always get up at 5am in order to do so). Cheers,y.

A postcard from Australia to Europe will cost me about $2 each. So I really should think before I write. What information would you like to have on a postcard? What do you usually write on postcards?
********

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahah I LOVE your second postcard. Altough I would normally write something like in postcard one, next time I will write the complete opposite - you just inspired me :-)))
I wish I would get sunburned, I want summer to come finally!! :-)

XX Bine

Anonymous said...

i really liked this entry!!!! im usually not a fan of writing postcards- although i always feel like i have to! so, iam usually writing the things u mention in ur first postcard. things i have done, how the weather is like and that im looking forward to tell everything when iam home.
i really like postcards which are the complete opposite. for example, if ur in london, of course ur gonna visit buckingham palace, tower bridge etc. however, i think it would be much more interesting to write about a special incident.. something that happened, something u thought was most exciting, interesting.... maybe write about people u met...

in any case, receiving a postcard from a friend is ALWAYS nice - doesnt matter whats written on it!!
xoxo Anni

Franzi said...

thanks for ur comments, glad u liked my friday thoughts! i still haven't started writing my postcards; but as soon as i start doing it i'll think of ur ideas; anni!! and by the way; i got a tiny sunburn this weekend (it has the surface of only 1cm) :)

Anonymous said...

iam looking forward to it! And I know a sunburn isnt fun, but it means that its warm and its summer:-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...