I am one of the many German students studying abroad. I am one of the people who love travelling. I can't sit still, I always have to do stuff. I am curious, always chasing for stories. Stay here for a while and be part of my respaced world

Monday, March 21, 2011

A piece of Europe in the Southern Hemisphere?

Most people say that Melbourne is very "European".
I think you can find a lot of "Europe" in Sydney as well.
Today I went to Leichhardt, which is a suburb only 5 (bus)minutes away from where I live.

The European feeling came up immediately when I entered the bus. Three people spoke in Italian!!! (I love Italian). I studied Italian at school, so I could understand their conversation. The two ladies were telling the younger Italian guy that when they met people in Italy they would tell them that they were "Australian" and that the guy would be "Australian" too, because he had no clue how it would be in Italy...I know so many German-Italians that I found the imagination of Australian Italians funny. Their Italian must sound so weird for "real" Italians, growing up so far from Italy, don't you think? I mean, German-Italians can just hop on the train or take the car, 2 hours later there in Italy (speaking of Stuttgart). But Australian-Italians? Mhm.

I got off at "Norton Street" and found this: The Italian Forum





Apart from this mall/apartment complex in one, you could find Italian shops which sold cheap looking shoes for 90$ (in italy they probably cost 10$.. ha ha - no grazie), an italian bakery, an Italian Culture Forum, an Italian bookstore, a section for Italian books at the public library based here and of course Italian restaurants and some  ice cream places.


So I went to get a gelato and asked the vendor what the the flavour "Quella" referred to.
She said "It's Nutella!"
"I'll have that, then. But why is it called Quella when it is supposed to be Nutella?"<br>
"Oh, it's ITALIAN NUTELLA, it's just called different.", she explained to me.
"Mhm. I don't think so. I'm from Europe and I have never heard of "Quella". I think I would know about "Quella"..."
"I don't know, I'm sorry"

mhmmm this girl probably thought i was really arrogant but if someone tells me the Italian nutella is called "Quella" I get very mad because damn it if there is something I know everything about it is NUTELLA.

Nutella is Italian, damn it!

anyway, I googled "Quella" and what I found was...
nothing about Nutella.

LIARS!!! Pah. Next time i'll come to Leichhart,I'll have my gelato somewhere else,that's for sure!

just for u guys:


My expert knowledge about nutella:

Nutella in the US: Don't eat it. Corn Sugar makes it taste weird!
Nutella in France/Spain/Southern Europe: Don't eat it. To sweet. Weird brown colour.(too many nuts)

Nutella in Western Europe (Germany/Italy/..?): Nutella in its original form.YAM


so much about Italian Nutella ice cream in Sydney....i know I'm a geek... at least I'm happy with the "European styled" pickels they sell at the grocery store.



********

3 comments:

TexaGermaNadian said...

There is a little of Europe of everywhere I guess!

Tara said...

Huh. I've had Nutella all over Europe (Italy, France, Amsterdam, Spain) and in the US and it's all tasted the same to me... ::sheepish grin::

Franzi said...

wooooow are u making fun of me?
pah. ;)

Tara, u can apply for nutella tasting lessons from me via Email if u wish to. i'll get back to u when i come to visit the US next time :P

Have u ever tried "Vegemite"? It's a supernasty paste some Australians eat for breakfast (is it also known in britain?) Have u ever heard of it?

please don't make me taste it. the smell is enopugh for me!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...