I am one of the many German students studying abroad. I am one of the people who love travelling. I can't sit still, I always have to do stuff. I am curious, always chasing for stories. Stay here for a while and be part of my respaced world

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Rescue of Respaced Girl


Australia Day 1. After we had arrived at the crappy, nasty but supergreat located hostel (make a guess where our hostel is...faked brand clothing, pastry in rainbow colours...), my classmate Annelien and me decided

"we need no sleep, but bondi beach!". We met up with another class mate, Anders from Copenhagen. Took the train. Were amazed by the surrounding: palm trees, sun, sea, me saying „Oh my god, this looks like I always pictured San Francisco!!“, Anders saying „No matter how shitty our classes will be, hell we won't care a damn thing about it“.

I bought a „Bondi Beach“ towl and placed my white ass on it. We were so happy, suddenly feeling the sun our our skin – my god we had completely forgotten how the sun felt like, at the same time having a slight feeling of embarassement about being so „naked“, not wearing several layers of clothing.



Annelien and me ran into the water and started swimming. Suddenly we heard speakers saying „Ladies, you are way to far out there.... sharks.... dangerous..... left....“ I turned around. The beach was suddenly far away. I only understood half of the stuff the speaker was saying, started to panic. Sharks? Did he say sharks? (I am so scared of sharks and i am a bad swimmer). We swam, we hardly got closer. I asked one of the surfers who surrounded us to help me, he gave me his board. The beach was still far away and I got damn scared because I thought I had heard the word „shark“. Then a handsome goodlooking saviour came to save me. He gave me instructions, I climbed on the board and together we paddled, waited, and then surfed on a huge wave back. Me, laughing all the time saying „cool that's fun!“

Then I saw this guy with a camera team. He had filmed the whole event. Mike was a documentary filmer, the producer of „Bondi Rescue“. I gave a way too long interview, pale German, saying stuff like „Oh, no I didn't know that Bondi Beach was one of the most dangerous places of the world, oh I didn't see the signs, oh I wasn't really afraid, it was kinda fun. I played the „I am the stupid German international student“ card.

It needed about half an hour to become aware of the fact how stupid I was and that we had actually been in danger. Goosebumps. First day in Australia and I have to be resued. Great. The fact that this interview and my stupidity will be aired on TV - Not so good.




By the way: I learned about the „rip“ at bondi beach

Wikipedia:
While the northern end has been rated a gentle 4 (with 10 as the most hazardous), the southern side is rated as a 7 due to a famous rip current known as the "Backpackers' Express" because of its proximity to the bus stop, and the unwillingness of tourists to walk the length of the beach to safer swimming. The south end of the beach is generally reserved for surfboard riding. Yellow and red flags define safe swimming areas, and visitors are advised to swim between them.
********

4 comments:

Katherina said...

loved Bondi Beach! Although when I went is was already australian autumn...so it wasn't exactly warm any more...

Anonymous said...

omg...take care and stay away from the sharks!!!
- kathi

Tara, in 3 Parts said...

I've never dealt with sharks but I got caught in a riptide in the summer of 2008 at Myrtle Beach. There was a hurricane off the coast and we didn't realize how bad the water was until it was too late. It was SUPER scary! Thankfully we were able to "rescue" ourselves...but I'm now SUPER careful about swimming in the ocean.

Franzi said...

oh a hurricane?uuuuu... scaryyy
i'll def. be more careful now!!if i ever get eaten by an animal it should be a chicken, not a shark. Ate way more chicken in my life than sharks...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...