I am one of the many German students studying abroad. I am one of the people who love travelling. I can't sit still, I always have to do stuff. I am curious, always chasing for stories. Stay here for a while and be part of my respaced world

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cake Nation

I felt extremely closely related to the Danes today. Actually, it is worth applying for a Danish CPR - number* only for participating at the Heavy Kagebord.

* CPR number: Every citizen living in Denmark must have a CPR number. It provides you with free health insurance and a number which allows you to make any kinds of contracts, from receiving a library card to a bank account.

One time a year, the canteen of the state library celebrates Cake Day! 1,2 TONS of Cake were offered. 100 different kinds of cakes. Plates in 3 sizes for the prize of 20, 40 and 60 DKKs (20DKK = €2,70) were available. It was a huge all-you-can-eat- CAKE-buffet. No, actually it was more than that, literally, it was a cake party!!!

musicians playing

The library was supercrowded. When we finally had reached the buffet it got pretty dangerous. My immense huge bag, packed with netbook, study books and other stuff turned out to be a an obstacle in the buffet-battle. The cake-hungry Danish students didn't seem to care that I almost lost my balance while I was standing next to a long table loaded with cake. Everyone was bumping each other in the chase for cake. The 45-minutes-long line had made the students nervoes, rude and hungry. The canteen employers were busy with constantly bringing in new cake-plates.



waiting in line for 45min...

Respaced Girl, the cake warrior



who wants the last piece of cake? ahhhhh leave me alone!
How fun! Even though I had to take stomach pills afterwards and I needed a long time for biking home...what a great day...
********

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg thats so cool!!! A cake day- what an awesome idea!!!!! i wish they wuld have such wonderful ideas at german universities tooo!!! however, the cake looked so delicious that all the waiting and fighting paid out in the end:-D
how much did u have to pay for getting in? or was it for free?

Franzi said...

lol u can actually read this in the posting :). The plate I got was the smallest and it cost 20DKK (2,70€). Decent price for so much cake. I wish I would have brought some tupperware to safe some for the next day. Surprisingly I haven't seen anyone who did that - isn't that weird?

Anonymous said...

Shoot:-D i must have overlooked this info. But yeah Ur right its a really decent price. My ansäet Why no one took a cake home: they all were so stuffed that nobody even thought about taking one home! Ur suggestion? Greetings from Germany xoxo Anni.

Anonymous said...

Theres a tipo in My comment. Of course i meant: My idea....

Franzi said...

hey, that's not a bad thought, anni! Anne (one of the cake-fighting girls on the last picture)actually said that! And Julie didn't understand why i would want to eat cake from the day before. lol. WEIRDOs, as if you could ever have enough cake!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...