I am one of the many German students studying abroad. I am one of the people who love travelling. I can't sit still, I always have to do stuff. I am curious, always chasing for stories. Stay here for a while and be part of my respaced world

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving

This Thursday it’s Thanksgiving Day in the US. Yesterday, I chatted with Jesse, the boyfriend of Erica’s sister who lives in Mechanisburg (!!What a name for a town! Erica is from Gettysburg and Mechanisburg is only a few miles away. Isn’t that cute? Same thing with German towns around Stuttgart: Sindelfingen, Böblingen, Tuttlingen, … The –ingen is a sign that the town was founded by the Vikings or so. I don’t know what –burg stands for though...)

Ok, let’s get back to the topic. Jesse invited me for Thanksgiving this year. Bummer I’m in Denmark. Ha. However, let’s have a flashback and think about my first Thanksgiving last year…

Erica went home on Thanksgiving (to Gettysburg, as you now know), so we decided to have an early Thanksgiving dinner together in her Philadelphia apartment. Erica was so nice to order the turkey (online, so that we would not have to carry it) and do most of the cooking: She put the holy turkey in the oven (needed hours, but it’s worth it!!) and made (real) mashed potatoes. Everything seemed to work out pretty well… then Lisa came to join us. And the dogs took their part in the whole event as well.  




Let me introduce the two crazy dogs: Erica has a pug called "Roxy" (but everyone calls her “dinosaurus”) and her boyfriend owns a mug as well, tiny and shy Oscar. Both of them are monsters, but cute. Lisa wanted to make pie. So she joined Erica in the kitchen. She put the bowl with the mashed potatoes on top of the oven. The bowl broke because it got too hot. --> No mashed potatoes. Erica has made some salad as well. As we were 5 people, we had to eat on the floor because the table wasn’t big enough. While we were serving the food on the carpet, one of the evil mugs started eating the salad…--> no salad.







However, Erica had a package of mashed potatoes left and the turkey with the stuffing and the gravy were the things that count, right? And Lisa’s pie turned out pretty well. So thanx again girls for this great memory, it was so much fun!






P.S.: On Thanksgiving Day I went to New York City to see the traditional Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade! They have Parades all over the country, but of course the one in New York is the longest/best/most popular… one. It was so cold and I thought it would never end. But it was cool too see all the decorated floats (Umzugswagen), it’s an old American tradition and you can even find an exhibition about their history in one of the Smithsonian museums in Washington DC. (I know that because I was there, he he)


 ********

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...